Re: virtio balloon: do not call blocking ops when !TASK_RUNNING

On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 01:11:02PM +0100, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 12:46:57 +0100
> "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 12:31:06PM +0100, Cornelia Huck wrote:

> > > Do you mean we need to enable the caller to deal with get_config
> > > failures (and the transport to relay those failures)? I agree with that.
> >
> > We can certainly tweak code to bypass need to kmalloc
> > on get_config.
> >
> > Why is it doing these allocs? What's wrong with using
> > vcdev->config directly?
>
> We'd need to make sure that vcdev->config is allocated with GFP_DMA, as
> we need it to be under 2G. And we need to be more careful wrt
> serialization, especially if we want to reuse the ccw structure as
> well, for example. Nothing complicated, I'd just need some free time to
> do it :)
>
> The more likely reason for get_config to fail is a device hotunplug,
> however. We'll get a seperate notification about that (via machine
> check + channel report), but it would be nice if we could stop poking
> the device immediately, as there's no use trying to do something with
> it anymore.

Normally, hotunplug requires guest cooperation.
IOW unplug request should send guest interrupt,
then block until guest confirms it's not using the
device anymore.
virtio pci already handles that fine, can't ccw
do something similar?

--
MST