Re: use dedicated I/O service domain in KVM

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:14:17PM +0800, Yidao Liu wrote:
> Hi, I want to use a dedicated guest VM to handle I/O request just as
> I/O service domain used in xen.
>
> Specifically, using network I/O as an example, I should directly
> assign the NIC to one guest VM (using pci-assign option),  after that
> all other guest VMs should perform network I/O through that VM rather
> than the host OS.
>
> Is there currently any viable approach to do this?
>
> If not, I want to implement one. Currently I'm thinking of combining
> nahanni shared memory and vhost architecture to implement it, is there
> any other suggestions?

There are security features like SELinux, seccomp, and file descriptor
passing that allow the QEMU userspace process to run unprivileged.
Why does it matter if the I/O is happening in an isolated userspace
process or another VM?

You can of course have appliance VMs that do network I/O on behalf of
other guests.  Assign the physical NIC to the appliance VM and then use
a private bridge on the host so guests can only communicate through the
appliance VM.

My Xen knowledge is very limited but I think part of why this
architecture is attractive there is because there is already a mechanism
for granting pages - i.e. secure inter-domain DMA.

In QEMU the architecture is different, so I wonder what you're trying to
achieve.  It will be slower and more convoluted than how it works today.

What are you trying to achieve?

Stefan