Re: [patch 2/2] KVM: x86: add option to advance tscdeadline hrtimer expiration

On 12/11/2014 04:07 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> It takes 7us to get from TSC deadline expiration to the *start* of
>>> vmresume?  That seems rather extreme.
>>>
>>> Is it possible that almost all of that latency is from deadline
>>> expiration to C-state exit?  If so, can we teach the timer code to wake
>>> up early to account for that?  We're supposed to know our idle exit
>>> latency these days.
>>
>> 7us includes:
>>
>> idle thread wakeup
>> idle schedout
>> ksoftirqd schedin
>> ksoftirqd schedout
>> qemu schedin
>> vm-entry
>
> Is there some secret way to get perf to profile this?  Like some way
> to tell perf to only record samples after the IRQ fires and before
> vmresume?  Because 7 us seems waaaaay slower than it should be for
> this.
>
> Yes, Rik, I know that we're wasting all kinds of time doing dumb
> things with xstate, but that shouldn't be anywhere near 7us on modern
> hardware, unless we're actually taking a device-not-available
> exception in there. :)  There might be a whopping size xstate
> operations, but those should be 60ns each, perhaps, if the state is
> dirty?
>
> Maybe everything misses cache?

I don't expect the xstate stuff to be more than about half
a microsecond, with cache misses and failure to optimize
XSAVEOPT / XRSTOR across vmenter/vmexit.

We get another microsecond or so from not trapping from the
guest to the host every time the guest accesses the FPU for
the first time. Marcelo already has a hack for that in his
tree, and my series merely has something that achieves the
same in an automated (and hopefully upstreamable) way.