From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Sent: Tuesday, 9 December, 2014 6:55 PM
To: Thomas Lau
Cc: kvm
Subject: Re: bridge mode without network rework

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 10:36:12AM +0800, Thomas Lau wrote:
> I just wondering is it possible not to rework our host machine network
> structure to get KVM guest working on bridge mode? Current
> implementation is using brctl to control it, which is destructive
> especially you have a host which is using that network card to connect
> internet.

Are you deploying KVM and worried about the one-time downtime that might
be introduced by setting up a bridged setup on the host?

Once you have the bridge working you can add/remove tap interfaces from
it without affecting the host's physical interface.

I'm not sure I understand the problem.

Perhaps macvtap is what you want:
http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/MacVTap
http://wiki.math.cmu.edu/iki/wiki/tips/20140303-kvm-macvtap.html