Re: making snapshots with raw devices? and some general snapshot thoughts

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is it possible to make snapshots when using raw devices (i.e. disk,
> partition, LVM volume) as guest's disk image?
>
> According to documentation[1] (and some tests I made) it is only possible
> with qcow2 images. Which makes it very inflexible:
>
> - one is forced to use a potentially slower file access
> - one can't use the benefits of i.e. iSCSI disk access, SAN etc.

what about using 'good' block devices, and add one small, mostly empty
qcow2? could it be used to store the snapshot for all?  of course it
would degrade performance while it's active, but should revert after
'commiting' it to the 'real' block device(s)

--
Javier