Re: can I make this work… (Foundation for accessibility project)

On 11/18/2014 8:50 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

I'm adding two people who might know.

Do you have any idea what the "magic to pipe data back to the Linux
host" should look like?  Does a normal serial port (COM1 for Windows,
/dev/ttyS0 for Linux) work?

The fine magic comes in three forms. Keystroke injection, context feedback, and exporting UI elements such as microphone level, recognition correction, partial recognition pop-ups into the linux environment.

All of these have in common the magic trick of using the isolation of the Windows environment to provide a single dictation target to NaturallySpeaking. All of the information necessary for the above capabilities would pass through this target. initially, this would be an ssh session with command redirecting standard into whatever accessibility inputs available.

The host side of this gateway would be responsible for all of the proper input redirection. In theory, it would even be possible to direct speech recognition towards two targets depending on the grammar. For example in the programming by speech environment I'm working on, I would dictate directly into the editor sometimes and into a secondary window for focused speech UI action. At no time, would my hand touch the mouse. :-) It will happen because of the context set by the speech UI as a deliberate effect of certain commands.

--- longer ramble about speech and nuance issues. ---

Being a crip who's trying to write code with speech, it's not going to be fast. once I get the Basic keystroke injection working, it will be good enough to continuing developing my program by speech environment. But to discuss that, would go down the rathole of current models of speech user interfaces, why don't work, things you shouldn't do such as speaking the keyboard, intentional automation, contextual grammars and a host of other things of spent the past 15 years learning about and figuring out how to make a change. By the way, that knowledge and passion is why I I've started a consulting practice that focuses on improving user experience/user interfaces starting from the intent of the user and perspective of a disabled person with the result being an improved UI for everybody.

The hardest part is going to be everything except a keystroke injection. This is because they require special knowledge that nuance is loath to give up. I don't get it. Nuance totes and gets federal benefits for producing something that is "section 508 compliant" yet, the only way you could be considered an accessibility tool is if you do nothing but write in Microsoft Word. I worked for a dragon reseller for a while with medical record systems and, nuance doesn't even make an attempt to try and speech enable the medical record environment. They have people using a couple of solutions that don't work well and effectively provide no UI automation[1] tied into speech commands.

A bunch of us techno Crips have built environments that greatly enhance the range of solutions NaturallySpeaking could be used for but, nuance won't talk to us, won't give us any documentation to keep things running on our own, won't sell us the documentation either and worst of all, they have written terms into the AUP designed to bar extensions like our environment unless you buy the most expensive version of NaturallySpeaking available.

And did I mention that they have many bugs that are a significant problem for every user, not to mention the scripts and the last time I checked, it will cost about $10 to report a bug (support call cost) and then there's no guarantee they'll ever fix. In version 13, I'm seeing bugs that have been around since version 7 or 8.

I will do what I can to implement the magic and when I get stumped, then, I'll figure out what I'm going to do technically and politically.

--- eric

[1] This is kind of a lie. They have the tools to what you navigate blindly through an application (i.e. hit 15 tabs, two down arrows, and a mouse click and it might end up in the right UI element to do something. unfortunately, they do not have anything to make it predictable, repeatable or survive revisions in the user interface. But this is one of those rat holes I said it wouldn't go down.