Re: vhost + multiqueue + RSS question.

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:38:16PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 09:44:23AM +0200, Gleb Natapov wrote:

> > > I don't see anything obviously wrong with what you describe.
> > > Maybe, somehow, same irqfd got bound to multiple MSI vectors?
> > It does not look like this is what is happening judging by the way
> > interrupts are distributed between queues. They are not distributed
> > uniformly and often I see one queue gets most interrupt and others get
> > much less and then it changes.
>
> Weird. It would happen if you transmitted from multiple CPUs.
> You did pin iperf to a single CPU within guest, did you not?

No, I didn't because I didn't expect it to matter for input interrupts.
When I run iperf on a host rx queue that receives all packets depends
only on a connection itself, not on a cpu iperf is running on (I tested
that). When I pin iperf in a guest I do indeed see that all interrupts
are arriving to the same irq vector. Is a number after virtio-input
in /proc/interrupt any indication of a queue a packet arrived to (on
a host I can use ethtool -S to check what queue receives packets, but
unfortunately this does not work for virtio nic in a guest)? Because if
it is the way RSS works in virtio is not how it works on a host and not
what I would expect after reading about RSS. The queue a packets arrives
to should be calculated by hashing fields from a packet header only.

--
			Gleb.