Hotplugging usb devices on guest boot

Hello list,

The short version is: how do I best use an external deamon to hotplug
all the usb devices for each guest when the guest boots?

 The solution needs to work for quests started through virt-manager
(as folks with minimal knowledge of the system may need to start
VM's).  I thought there might be a way to get signals about which
guests are being started from libvirtd, but I haven't been able to
find any information about that.  Another option might be using the
hooks at /etc/libvirt/hooks/qemu.  (
http://www.libvirt.org/hooks.html#names ).  Since libvert functions
should not be called from within this script, I should have it open a
socket and send a signal to me custom deamon, which would wait a short
amount of time before envoking "virsh attach-device"?

background:

I recently got a multiseat system working using KVM (I computer
serving guest OS's to monitors through VGA passthrough, one GPU per
guest). I works great!

One issue is that the input devices need to be hard coded into the XML
files for each seat.  Sometimes, on system reboot, the device numbers
assigned to the various mice and keyboards get changed, and I have to
check lsusb and fix the XML.  Also, hotplugging is obviously not
automatic.

To make hotplugging work the way I want, I have written a python
deamon to notice new usb devices through udev.  It recognizes the
port, and can thus send new devices to guests based on usb ports (each
guest is associated with a hub plugged into a port).

It would be best if this deamon could also let each guest know about
the usb devices that are already plugged in to its hub on guest boot.
That way, there would be no usb devices hard coded into the xml.  What
is the best way to do this?

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 as the host OS.

Thanks,
  Elliot