Re: KVM tracing events

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:39:52PM +0000, Mendez Montejano  Pedro wrote:
> Hello,
> I am Pedro Mendez I am a master student from ETH Zurich, the reason that I am reaching you is because,
> right now I am doing some recording of the events happening during launching in a vm, using KVM + qemu,
> and for getting the events I am using the trace_pipe of the trace kernel tool utility with KVM, I already have events enable.
>
> I am redirecting the output of the trace_pipe with “cat" to a file so I can the events from the launching, but
> when I see the size of the logs I am getting really incongruent results, sometimes I get a file
> of 45MB and when I launch again the vm and recording the events of the launching I end up
> with a file of 400K or 1.2MB.
>
> I don’t thinks this is normal, I wonder if I am not getting the event from the right place of if I should
> use another kernel tool for tracing the events, or do you know if this behaviour is expected
> to be normal.
>
> I hope you can tell me more about this or if you have seen this behaviour before.

I'm not sure what "the trace_pipe of the trace kernel tool utility with
KVM" really means.  Sounds like you are using ftrace and the trace
events in /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/kvm.

What are the exact command-lines you are using?

If you use "perf record -e kvm:\* -a" it tells you whether any events
were dropped.  I never had serious problems with dropped events.

If that you are hitting dropped events, try one or more of the following:
1. Trace fewer high-frequency events (be selective about events you enable)
2. Reduce the workload so more cycles are available to harvest ring buffers
3. Increase ring buffer size

Stefan