Re: Infinite IRQ injection loop in QEMU

On 10/22/2014 05:33 PM, John Snow wrote:

> I've been working on improving the AHCI device emulation for QEMU but
> have recently run into an issue where Windows 8 guests -- upon trying to
> resume from hibernation -- manage to trigger an infinite IRQ injection
> loop where it seems that the IRQ never quite properly gets cleared.
>
> I am still working on troubleshooting it further, but I wanted to see if
> anyone had advice or experience with this type of issue.
>
> In a nutshell:
> - Windows 8 boots up inside of QEMU/KVM
> - Windows 8 is suspended to disk either via "shut down" or explicit
> hibernate. QEMU exits.
> - Windows 8 is resumed
> - Windows 8 resets the AHCI device and begins re-initializing it
> - Once the active AHCI port is reset, it issues an interrupt to indicate
> it has a pending message (set of register values) ready for the host to
> synchronize state with the HBA. This interrupt appears to be legacy PCI
> and not MSI.
> - This triggers an infinite injection loop.

This usually means that the interrupt was not properly cleared in the
AHCI controller.  Since legacy PCI interrupts are shared, it probably
means that the guest was not expecting the AHCI interrupt and is just
not asking the driver to handle it.  Perhaps the BIOS is leaving the
driver with INTX enabled, or something like that?

Paolo