Re: copyless virtio net thoughts?

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:06:17PM +1030, Rusty Russell wrote:
> On Thursday 19 February 2009 10:01:42 Simon Horman wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:08:00PM +1030, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > >
> > > 2) Direct NIC attachment This is particularly interesting with SR-IOV or
> > > other multiqueue nics, but for boutique cases or benchmarks, could be for
> > > normal NICs.  So far I have some very sketched-out patches: for the
> > > attached nic dev_alloc_skb() gets an skb from the guest (which supplies
> > > them via some kind of AIO interface), and a branch in netif_receive_skb()
> > > which returned it to the guest.  This bypasses all firewalling in the
> > > host though; we're basically having the guest process drive the NIC
> > > directly.
> >
> > Hi Rusty,
> >
> > Can I clarify that the idea with utilising SR-IOV would be to assign
> > virtual functions to guests? That is, something conceptually similar to
> > PCI pass-through in Xen (although I'm not sure that anyone has virtual
> > function pass-through working yet).
>
> Not quite: I think PCI passthrough IMHO is the *wrong* way to do it: it
> makes migrate complicated (if not impossible), and requires emulation or
> the same NIC on the destination host.
>
> This would be the *host* seeing the virtual functions as multiple NICs,
> then the ability to attach a given NIC directly to a process.
>
> This isn't guest-visible: the kvm process is configured to connect
> directly to a NIC, rather than (say) bridging through the host.

Hi Rusty, Hi Chris,

Thanks for the clarification.

I think that the approach that Xen recommends for migration is to
use a bonding device that accesses the pass-through device if present
and a virtual nic.

The idea that you outline above does sound somewhat cleaner :-)

> > If so, wouldn't this also be useful on machines that have multiple
> > NICs?
>
> Yes, but mainly as a benchmark hack AFAICT :)

Ok, I was under the impression that at least in the Xen world it
was something people actually used. But I could easily be mistaken.

--
Simon Horman
  VA Linux Systems Japan K.K., Sydney, Australia Satellite Office