From: Alex Williamson [alex.williamson@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2014 1:35 PM
To: Boylan, Ross
Cc: kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Use VM as main "machine"

On Sun, 2014-10-12 at 18:21 +0000, Boylan, Ross wrote:
> I would like to install a simple system on the hardware level, and do most of my work in one of the VM's.
> In the past I have accessed VM's graphically using vnc, but if I did that my base system (dom0 in Xen, I think) would need to run X server, which would complicate it and render the whole setup vulnerable if there was a problem with X.  Also, I've had trouble in the past using evolution remotely.
>
> Is there a way to hook a VM more directly to the display, keyboard and mouse?
>
> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM seemed potentially relevant, but tracing through the references I didn't find FLReset+ on any PCI devices other than audio, so that seems to be out (although the reference page http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_PCI_Passthrough#How_can_I_check_if_PCI_device_supports_FLR_.28Function_Level_Reset.29_.3F says that it is out of date).
>
> My immediate interest is a system that's about 5 years old, running Xeon E5420's  with VT-x.  It has a VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV570 [Radeon X1950 Pro] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> I'm also considering doing the same on a more recent system with Xeon E3-1245 v 2.  It has VT-x and Vt-d, with Intel® HD Graphics P4000.  I might get an external video card later.  It also doesn't show FLReset+ except for audio.

FLR is irrelevant, no video devices have it afaict.  Neither of your
video cards work with current VGA/OVMF device assignment either, IGD may
work in the relative short term, Radeon X1xxx devices are too old to
bother with.  See this thread:

and this blog:

http://vfio.blogspot.com/

For an idea of what's currently possible.  Be aware that all of this is
bleeding edge and chances of needing to build your own kernel/QEMU are
high.  I'd recommend something like an HD5450 as the the minimum Radeon
class card and an 8-series Nvidia as the minimum on that end.

Alex