Re: Porting KVM to Mac OS?

On 16.02.2009, at 19:01, Neo Jia <neojia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Alexander Graf wrote:

Hi,

On 25.01.2009, at 09:16, Neo Jia wrote:

hi,

I am thinking if it is possible to port KVM to Mac OS (leopard). Is
there anybody doing this already?

I've considered doing it, but haven't gotten around to it, due to lack of
inspiration.
The biggest problem IMHO is the sync. Rewriting a kvm module for Mac OS X should be fairly easy, but you'll miss all the good bugfixes from upstream. Using the upstream code with a wrapper on the other hand is probably a really big hassle, because osx doesn't really know about mmu notifiers and a
lot of other Linux internal things.

Most of the special Linux internal things are optional when using the
external kernel modules (in order to support older host kernels). If you
rely on that, there shouldn't be a huge amount of Linux-specific
dependencies.

Best thing to do would be to avoid touching the KVM source code as much as humanly possible, and try to write a compatibility layer on top of the external kernel modules. You could even use awk trickery like make sync
does.  That way you can get bugfixes almost for free.

Thanks! I am reviewing the possible interface wrapper solution now.
But I just notice that the current leopard is 32-bit. Will this be a
problem to run KVM as it always assume qemu-x86-64 bit?

The Linux kernel module does work on 32 bit systems too. But please keep everything 64-bit aware, as the 10.6 kernel will be available in x86_64 flavors.

Alex

Thanks,
Neo

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

So if you come up with a good idea for this problem, I'd be glad to help
you out as much as time permits :-).

Alex

If it is possible, which KVM release should I use as a start?

Thanks,
Neo
--
I would remember that if researchers were not ambitious
probably today we haven't the technology we are using!