Strange performance issue wite kvm and XP guests

Hello,

I'd like to discuss an issue I'm having with KVM on a Windows XP guest.

The hosting system  is a `x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @
2.00GHz GenuineIntel' machine runing the latest (stable) kernel
release and KVM version 83.

The respecitve modules (kvm, kvm_intel) are loaded and in use. The
problem in question is perfromance. While the system boots as fast as
in native mode (for that matter, the instalation was fast too), it
doesn't work OK for general tasks. The system lags very much. The
mouse pointer, for example works only for a few moments and then
freezes. So does the keyboard. Everything stops periodically for about
5-15 seconds after which it works normally for 10-30 seconds. At
moments, the mouse pointer freezes at some location, but I can still
move a "copy" of the mouse pointer. I've tried to tweak various
settings (from CPU to memory) with no success. The IRC guys on #KVM
then sugested to post the issue here.

I belive that it's hard to understand what's going on from my poor
description so if you have any other questions what should I
try/check, please tell!

Best regards,

Jernej.