Re: Coupling between KVM_IRQFD and KVM_SET_GSI_ROUTING?

On 06/24/2014 12:40 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 24.06.14 11:47, Paul Mackerras wrote:

>>> I untangled irqfd support from the x86 ioapic emulation a while back.
>>> When I
>>> looked at it, I didn't see any easy way to split it out from the routing
>>> too, so I kept that dependency in.
Hi Alex, Paul,

thanks for your replies. hence don't you think the KVM API doc deserves
to be clarified then?

>>> If you look at the code, you will see that the irq routing entry is
>>> used as
>>> token for an irqfd. So every irqfd only knows its routing table entry,
>>> nothing else.
>> As far as I can see, the routing table entry is used for only two
>> things: to tell whether the interrupt is an MSI or LSI, and to pass to
>> kvm_set_msi.

Indeed I noticed irq_entry in _irqfd struct only is set for MSI routing.
For other IRQS - I guess what you call LSI - , routine table map[] is
used to retrieve the irchip.pin(s) associated to that gsi and call set().

>> One way to tackle the problem would be to abstract out the routing
>> table lookup into a function in irqchip.c, rather than having it
>> open-coded in irqfd_update.  Then, if you don't want to have the
>> routing table you write an alternative function that creates a
>> routing entry from scratch.  It would need information from the
>> low-level irq chip code as to which interrupts are LSIs and which are
>> MSIs.  It also ties you down to having only one kind of interrupt
controller.

> You could also create it along with the irqfd state struct. So instead of
>
>   kzalloc(sizeof(*irqfd), GFP_KERNEL);
>
> we could do
>
>   kzalloc(sizeof(*irqfd) + sizeof(struct kvm_kernel_irq_routing_entry),
> GFP_KERNEL);

Wouldn't it make sense, in kvm_irqfd_assign, to test whether there is a
routing entry associated to that gsi. In the negative, create a default
one where irqchip.pin = gsi or something architecture specific?.

That way would not need a complete & big routing table to be set by
user-side?

> and point the routing entry to the inline irqfd one. We'd lose the
> ability to change any routings with that construct, but I think that's
> ok for irq controllers that are not configurable.
>
> Alternatively, we could also have a single routing entry that is a
> wildcard match, ranging from say LSI [x...y]. The irqfd structure would
> then need to carry a local payload to define an offset inside that
> wildcard routing entry.

Also whatever the number of IRQs assigned, we have this big
chip[KVM_NR_IRQCHIPS][KVM_IRQCHIP_NUM_PINS] allocated. Also on ARM we
have some difficulties to define KVM_IRQCHIP_NUM_PINS which becomes
quite dynamic.

Best Regards

Eric