vhost on mmio platform devices

Hi,

I'm currently trying to make vhost-net work on ARM cortexA15 Arndale board.
As irqfd is not yet upstream, I've used irqfd and irq routing patches recently posted on kvmarm list.
So far I can properly generate irqs to the guest using vgic and irq-routing , but as far as I can see virtio registers (interrupt status register @ offset 0x60) are not updated by vhost kernel backend.
Does it mean that virtio virtual registers have to be managed by Qemu, even when using a vhost kernel back-end ???
I cannot find inside vhost code where those registers could be updated, and I can clearly see that mmio accesses from guest to those registers causing a qemu virtio_mmio_read or virtio_mmio-write.

I thought vhost was added to prevent any qemu interaction in the data path . Could someone more familiar with vhost could tell me if and where I'm wrong ?
Thanks a lot in advance
Best regards
Rémy