Re: How to know that vPMU is enabled or disabled?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Jidong Xiao <jidong.xiao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, All,
>
> I am using a virtual machine in a cloud environment, which means I am
> in control of the Guest OS, but have no access to the Host OS. Is
> there a simple way to know whether or not the vPMU is enabled or
> disabled? Or, is there something I can control so as to turn its state
> from enable to disable, or vice versa? Thanks.

I think I have figured out this. According to this patch (as well as
the Intel SDM manual), it looks like pmu is exposed via the cpuid leaf
0xah.

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/a6c06ed1a60aff77b27ba558c315c3fed4e35565

Therefore, in the guest os, one can run the cpuid instruction with
leaf 0xa, and if vpmu is supported/enabled, the return value in
eax/ebx/ecx/edx should be something non-zero, and in the cloud machine
which I am using I see these registers are all zero, therefore I think
vpmu is not supported in my virtual machine. Probably it is masked by
Qemu.

-Jidong