Re: Question about the kvm emulator

Il 22/05/2014 05:55, Jidong Xiao ha scritto:
Hi,

I noticed that there is a file call emulate.c, under the directory of
arch/x86/kvm/, in its header part, it says:

"Generic x86 (32-bit and 64-bit) instruction decoder and emulator."

I am confused about this, since qemu will be the emulator, why does
kvm itself also includes such an emulator? In particular, I added some
printk debug statement in x86_emulate_insn() and
emulate_instruction(), but I never see them being invoked. Can someone
kindly explain this, thank you!

QEMU is providing the device model and interfaces with KVM. QEMU's CPU emulation functionality is not used when running with KVM.

The KVM emulator is used: 1) to execute instructions that read or write to device memory; 2) to run "big real mode" programs on microprocessors that do not support it natively, for example Intel processors older than Westmere.

Paolo