Re: PCI passthrough fails with Intel 82574L

On Thu, 2014-05-08 at 10:55 -0400, Derek Piper wrote:

>        Hi,
>
>         I am unable to get PCI passthrough to work on my Opteron system. I
> keep getting an 'adapter reset' within the VM that has the PCI ethernet
> assigned to it. It is running 2 x 6 core Opterons on a SuperMicro H8DCL
> motherboard that has 2 Intel 82574L network interfaces on it.
>
> Host's lspci (relevant card):
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network
> Connection
> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network
> Connection
>
> Both host and VM are running Debian 7 (Wheezy). I have the latest qemu-kvm
> from debian backports (1.7.0).

Latest is 2.0, also what's the kernel version?

> I am running the virtual hosts via virt-manager and assigning the PCI express
> ethernet card at 03:00.0. There is no configuration on the host for that
> ethernet card, only the first one (02:00.0) is in use. I have enabled the
>
> options kvm allow_unsafe_assigned_interrupts=1
>
> When running the VM with the PCI express adapter assigned to it, and configured
> for the network it is connected to, it does not work. I simply get the
> 'adapter reset' message again and again.
>
> The host shows the device being claimed by pci-stub as it gets assigned to the
> guest and getting the IRQs. On the guest there is a stack trace and also
> adapter resets.

Relevant guest dmesg would be helpful.

> I am hoping to run a number of different virtual machines off of this host. Due
> to network policies in place (no devices in promiscuous mode get routed) I
> cannot simply place the host's interface to be shared with different IPs, so
> must do one physical ethernet interface each.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does it work using vfio-pci to do the assignment rather than pci-assign?
Newer versions of libvirt will use this by default, you may need to add
a driver tag with an older version, or upgrade if it's too old for vfio.
See xml example here:

http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsNICSHostdev

Thanks,

Alex