Re: using KVM w/o dnsmasq on CentOS 5.2 X64

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 11:06:34AM +0100, Stefan Kr?mmel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to convert some of our virtual machines from VMWare Server 2 to
> KVM on CentOS 5.2 X64.
>
> KVM constantly gives me headaches when it comes to networking
> configuration.
>
> Being used to VMWare, there are some things that don't work as expected.
>
> 1. kvm/libvirt manipulate iptables, effectivly breaking the hosts
> networking
> iptables is usually turned off on the dev machine( iptables -F, no rules
> set during boot)
>
> 2. kvm/libvirt comes with dnsmasq, which gets started automagically,
> colliding
> with out existing DDNS setup(ISC's bind/dhcpd3 )

libvirt's dnsmasq instance is told to only listen on the network
interface with 192.168.122.1, but unfortunately most other DHCP
daemons will default to listening on every interface. So if you
already run a DHCP interface you'll want to disable libvirt's
default virtual network

  virsh net-destroy default
  virsh net-autostart --disable default

> I'm hope some of you might shed some light on howto
> 1) bridge a KVM-VM to an exisiting Ethernet interface, behaving exactly
> like
> a real/physical NIC, being able to handle any
> ARP/BOOTP/PXE/DHCP/IP/whatever requests.

See the 'Shared physical device' docs here for Debian/Ubuntu and
Fedora/RHEL configs:

  http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking

> and 2) setup a virtual ethernet-network, which is completely isolated
> from the host's networking WITHOUT using NAT/dnsmasq.

You can modify libvirt's default virtual network to turn off both
DHCP and NAT forwarding options, which will just leave the bridge
interface in an isolated config

  virsh net-edit default

And remove the DHCP XML elements, and remove the '<forward>'
element

Daniel