Re: RFC: sharing config interrupt between virtio devices for saving MSI

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 06:03:04PM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 10:35:41PM +0800, Amos Kong wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 12:08:15PM +0800, Amos Kong wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm working on this item in Upstream Networking todolist:

> > > I have this solution here, and only have draft patches of Solution
> > > 1 & 2, let's discuss if solution 3 is feasible.
> > >
> > > * We should not introduce perf regression in this change
> > > * little effect is acceptable because we are _sharing_ interrupt
> > >
> > > Solution 1:
> > > ==========
> > > share one LSI interrupt for configuration change of all virtio devices.
> > > Draft patch: share_lsi_for_all_config.patch
> > >
> > > Solution 2:
> > > ==========
> > > share one MSI interrupt for configuration change of all virtio devices.
> > > Draft patch: share_msix_for_all_config.patch
> > >
> > > Solution 3:
> > > ==========
> > > dynamic adjust interrupt policy when device is added or removed
> > > Current:
> > > -------
> > > - try to allocate a MSI to device's config
> > > - try to allocate a MSI for each vq
> > > - share one MSI for all vqs of one device
> > > - share one LSI for config & vqs of one device
> > >
> > > additional dynamic policies:
> > > ---------------------------
> > > - if there is no enough MSI, adjust interrupt allocation for returning
> > >   some MSI
> > >    - try to find a device that allocated one MSI for each vq, change
> > >      it to share one MSI for saving the MSI
> > >    - try to share one MSI for config of all virtio_pci devices
> > >    - try to share one LSI for config of all devices
> > >
> > > - if device is removed, try to re-allocate freed MSI to existed
> > >   devices, if they aren't in best status (one MSI for config, one
> > >   MSI for each vq)
> > >    - if config of all devices is sharing one LSI, try to upgrade it to MSI
> > >    - if config of all devices is sharing one MSI, try to allocate one
> > >      MSI for configuration change of each device
> > >    - try to find a device that is sharing one MSI for all vqs, try to
> > >      allocate one MSI for each vq
> >
> > Hi Michael, Alex
> >
> > Any thoughts about this ? :)
> >

> > Thanks, Amos
>

> I don't think we need to worry about dynamic.

Dynamic policy can always get good balance. If we use a fixed policy,
devices might share IRQ with some unused msix, or sometimes it's not
fair enough for all devices.

> Questions: just by using IRQF_SHARED, do we always end
> up with a shared interrupt? Or only if system is running
> out of vectors?

In solution1: always share one LSI for config of all virtio devices
In solution2: always share one MSI for config of all virtio devices

> Did you test that interrupt is actually shared and all
> handlers are called?

Yes. I can find many devices (virtio.0, virtio.1,...) share same
interrupt in guest's /proc/interrupts. And nics work well.

> We don't stop after the 1st handler that
> returned OK?

When we set IRQF_SHARED flag, dev_id is necessary. In
irq_wake_thread() it's used to identify the device for which
the irq_thread should be woke.
So when we share one IRQ, one single interrupt will only wake one
handler once.

--
			Amos.