Qemu v1.7.1 & CentOS 6.4

Hi Everyone,

I am running into performance issues with Windows guest VM's in
conjunction with the rather old version of Qemu-KVM that is currently
being shipped with rhel 6.4 and as such I am looking to upgrade to the
latest stable release of qemu (v1.7.1 if I am not mistaken).

As it stands now I have been unsuccessful in locating a good
guide/tutorial on how to correctly update (or remove & install) v1.7.1
- Does anyone have a good tutorial on how to properly get it installed
under CentOS 6 (or rhel 6 in general)?

The reason for the upgrade is due high context switch rate when the
Windows virtual VM's are idle causing the hypervisor machine to
utilize a lot more CPU than it should be. Based on my Google skills I
have located several threads noting upgrade to at least 0.12.4 should
help resolve the issue, however as it stands right now I really do not
have any confirmation of this.

As to CentOS, unfortunately the control panel system we are using
currently limits us to rhel 6 based distros and as such swapping to a
debian based distro or otherwise is not currently an option.

Any advice & feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Lane