Re: Linux 3.13: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [qemu-kvm:2653]

Hi all,

Over the weekend, Linux 3.13.6 was installed on my machine. When I started gnome-boxes on Monday morning, my VM halted during boot. Only a portion of the VESA BIOS init output was displayed on-screen before the halt. Backtraces occasionally appeared in dmesg (http://pastebin.com/uUiNLmJ6). Some other programs were prevented from performing some tasks while the VM was running.

While investigating, I was directed to an earlier KVM bug report (https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/2/11/487). I downgraded to Linux 3.12.9 and rebooted, and now my VM is starting. Unfortunately, I'm very new to Linux, so I'm not sure what the next steps would be.

Host system info:
Arch Linux (current with updates), 64-bit with UEFI boot
Intel Haswell CPU (i5-4670K)
32GB RAM
Intel 240GB SSD
GNOME 3.10.x
gnome-boxes 3.10.x

Guest OS info:
Windows 7, 64-bit
2GB of RAM allocated
Beyond setting disk and RAM sizes when initializing the VM, I have trusted the gnome-boxes defaults and have not altered the machine configuration in any way.

Let me know if there is any additional logging that would be useful. I can certainly re-install the problematic kernel outside of business hours.