[ kvm-Bugs-2528121 ] Connecting a guest PC to a vlan cisco switch

Bugs item #2528121, was opened at 2009-01-22 02:02
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by alex_williamson
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=893831&aid=2528121&group_id=180599

not just the latest update.
Category: Interface (example)
Group: None

Initial Comment:
In my case I have Debian in host and guest.
The switch have two vlan networks. in total there are three
nets (192.168.1.0,192.168.4.0,192.168.101.0)
I am using a tap interface for share the real interface.

The network configuration is
hostPC
*******
auto br0
iface br0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
network 192.168.1.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_fd 9
bridge_hello 2
bridge_maxage 12
bridge_stp off

*******
guestPC
*******
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.11
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
network 192.168.1.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

auto eth0.4
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.4.11
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.4.1.255
network 192.168.4.0
gateway 192.168.4.1

auto eth0.101
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.101.11
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.101.255
network 192.168.101.0
gateway 192.168.101.1

The running kvm have the parametters "-net nic -net tap,ifname=tap0"

The result is that the guestPC can not connet to the two vlan networks. It only can do ping to the PC connected to the network 192.168.1.0.

Trying the same configuration in VirtualBox it goes very well.

I think that the method that kvm use for share the interface is not a completely real share.

Comment By: Alex Williamson (alex_williamson)
Date: 2009-01-22 16:41

Message:
I've used VLANs recently with both the e1000 and virtio NICs, haven't tried
with the default 8139 NIC.  For e1000 you need kvm-80 or better.  For
virtio, turn the MTU in the guest down a little bit (1500 - 4 should do it)
or you'll hit a packet truncation issue (patch on the mailing list).  You
also need to make sure the host NIC on the bridge is not filtering VLAN
packets.  This typically means it can't be part of a VLAN.

Comment By: Dor Laor (thekozmo)
Date: 2009-01-22 07:20

Message:
Where is your destination machine/interface?
Note that if the guest nic is a vlan, the packet should come out tagged.
A vlan interface needs to receive it on the host or on remote host.
You can tcpdump the bridge to make sure the packets are tagged.
Also make sure the mtu is 1518 (+4 for vlan tag)

It was tested in the past without any issues.