Re: KVM guest crashes

On 20.01.2009, at 21:07, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alexander Graf wrote:
Hi list,

recently I've been hitting some KVM bugs others seem to have reported as
well, including

- CIFS timeouts
- Stuck ?? errors
- Random segmentation faults in the guest

so I figured, I'll put together a stress test that can be used to
reproduce these issues. This is done by using a CIFS mount on the host
and unpacking data from that mount to the mount. I have been able to
bring kvm down to its knees a lot just by doing this.
Simply run the test in an endless-loop. FWIW enabling NPT helps
triggering the issue.

Are the problems specific to AMD?

I don't know, as all machines I tried it on were AMD so far. But judging from user reports on the ml, it happens on Intel too.

What does "helps triggering" mean - does it happen with NPT disabled?

It seems like the chances for breakage are higher with NPT enabled. I do see them without as well though.

The guest kernels included here are openSUSE 11.0 (2.6.25) and 11.1
(2.6.27) kernels.

Find the tests here: http://alex.csgraf.de/kvm-tests.tar.bz2
And some logs here (NPT enabled): http://alex.csgraf.de/kvm-logs.tar.bz2

I'm somewhat lost on the reason for these failures, so if you do have
some time on your hands, please give me a hand debugging this! If I'd
had to guess, I'd say it's either an APIC issue and/or guest memory
corruption.

I'd guess memory corruption.

Does running a uniprocessor guest help? What about a uniprocessor guest pinned to one host core?

I'll try to start tests tomorrow.

Alex