Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull my kvm-ppc-next branch again

On 09/05/2017 04:17, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I do tend to want to be *notified* about the conflicts, though.
>
> That's not because conflicts are bad per se, or because I'd find them
> hard to resolve (most are trivial). It's mostly because I want to know
> that both parties knew about the conflict and it was seen in -next,
> which just makes me feel a lot better about the it.
>
> Why? Exactly the same way I don't want submaintainers to silently fix
> up conflicts for me, because I want to be aware of where conflicts
> happened, I also want to know in turn that the submaintainers knew
> about it too.
>
> So to me, it's largely about *awareness*, not about "conflicts are
> hard to handle".  I want to be aware of the conflicts, but I also want
> the people who caused them to be aware of them, and realize that
> "oops, we're stepping on each others toes".

Good, that was my understanding - and I wanted to single out this
conflict because

1) I wasn't even sure if Paul was aware of it, since the conflict
surprised me when doing my own trial merge.  I'd like to be aware of
arch vs. KVM conflicts, just like Linus, so that I can relay the
information to him precisely;

2) I'm not sure about why PPC/KVM conflicts keep on happening.  KVM on
PPC seems to be more tightly integrated with non-KVM code than other
architectures.  _But it's also the other way round_ which seems less
healthy to me.  I'm not sure if that is really necessary, but if not,
please refactor things so that we don't step on each other's toes
unnecessarily.  Perhaps real mode handlers should be in
arch/powerpc/kernel/ and only arch/powerpc/kvm/, so that the latter only
cares about virtualization?  Maybe the whole napping and CPU thread
management should be done outside arch/powerpc/kvm/?  Not sure if that
makes any sense, but to my eyes there are definitely too many KVM parts
in hardware enablement patches (and BTW it's just crazy that PPC has
about 4k lines of assembly).

Maybe PPC *is* the special snowflake where interaction should be
primarily with arch maintainers rather than myself.  Then let's just
have topic branches for the occasional API patch (new KVM_CAP_*
constants would be the gist of it) and otherwise let Michael merge
KVM/PPC patches.

But in any case, to my eyes there _is_ a pattern, and a problem.  It
doesn't matter that the canary is a cherry-pick conflict that Linus
could solve blinded and with one hand tied behind his back.

Paolo