Re: Book3s_hv KVM HTAB bug

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 01:58:52AM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:

> Yeah, sounds like this really is the problem. So what I was asking you back then was to take a look at the dynamic page reshuffling mechanisms that got introduced with CMA and transparent huge pages.
>
> I don't think that preallocating yet another potentially fragmented pool of bigger memory chunks - which your patch did - is the answer to this problem. We just need to defragment normal system memory and delay HPT creation until it's ready. It can't be that hard.
>
> Andrea, do you happen to have any hints for us here? We need roughly 16MB of linear memory available when we create a virtual machine on POWER. Can we somehow tell the mm system to shuffle such a big chunk free for us?

I have a guy in India (Aneesh Kumar K.V, same guy that did the THP
patches) looking at using the CMA stuff.  With CMA we can reserve a
fairly large pool (say 5% or even 10% of system memory) without
concern, since the memory is still usable for user processes, and that
should help any fragmentation issues.  If fragmentation still turns
out to be a problem we can look at moving the HPTs around.

Paul.