Re: [GIT PULL] Add KVM support for Book3s_64 (PPC64) hosts v3

On 02.09.2009, at 08:23, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

Well, we need mm_alloc to reserve a VA range. And since that happens
in module code, it needs to be exported.

Hrm... I've missed where you call it. Can't you directly allocate
a context ID instead of a whole mm ?

It's in the vcpu init code:

./book3s.c:862:	vcpu->arch.mm_guest = mm_alloc();

And the mm_alloc() call was the closest I could find to only allocate a context ID. I didn't really want to change too much code in there unless I really have to and it seems like mm_alloc doesn't have that much overhead.

As far as switch_slb goes, I think with the new "always switch the
full SLB in entry/exit code" logic, that's not required anymore.

Ok. In general, I'd rather keep the KVM SLB switching separate from
the "normal" one since there's different constraints anyways.

Yes, that's why we're at v3 already :-).

Should I send out a v4 that removes the slb_switch export and marks
things as experimental?

Please, and add my Acks. Pls dbl check the need for mm_alloc() though.

I'm open for suggestions on how to get a context_id easily/cleanly without exporting mm_alloc.

Alex