RE: PowerPC KVM build directions

Thanks Hollis. See inline..

-----Original Message-----
From: Hollis Blanchard [mailto:hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 1:07 PM
To: Rahul Kulkarni
Cc: Liu Yu-B13201; kvm-ppc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: PowerPC KVM build directions

(CCing kvm-ppc list.)

Great, so you've managed to get Linux running under KVM on e500?
Rahul>> Yes.  I can run Linux under kvm on a e500 based platform

Option 2 requires that qemu set up the initial VM state exactly how firmware
would have. That means loading the same kernel executable into the same memory
location, same initial register state, initial TLB mappings, same (emulated)
system hardware state, etc.

For Linux, we used option 2. After loading the ELF file into guest memory,
qemu creates the device tree (hierarchical data structure describing the
physical system) and passes its address to Linux in a GPR, which is a job
usually performed by u-boot. The decision really depends on the functionality
and complexity of your firmware.

Rahul>>I'll start with option 2.  Initial goal would be to run a NetBSD guest on an emulated e500/8544 platform - which Liu has added support for recently in qemu/kvm to run as a linux guest. Our eventual goal is to emulate an e500/8548 CDS based platform.. Since KVM supports a NetBSD 4.0  guest (I think) and 8544/e500 emulation is already present in qemu -- theoretically the first part should work...but I recall Liu mentioning that there might be some OS specific quirks present in the port...and that was what I my question was hinting at earlier..
--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Centera