Re: kvm on G4 processors?

On Feb 18, 2009, at 6:53 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:

On 18.02.2009, at 13:19, Jimi Xenidis wrote:

On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:21 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:

On 17.02.2009, at 09:32, "Liu Yu-B13201" <Yu.Liu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: kvm-ppc-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:kvm-ppc-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Roberto Innocenti
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:26 PM
To: kvm-ppc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: kvm on G4 processors?

I have tried to compile kernel 2.6.27 with kvm support on my PowerBook G4, but kvm option is not visible becouse kernel menu config permit to compile kvm kernel module only if you ave a PowerPC 440 architecture
and not G4.
But really kvm doesn't work for G4 processors, it's so different the
architeture ?
In case kvm is working how to compile the kernel module on my G4?

I'm afraid that KVM now doesnot support G4.
440 belongs to BOOKE architecture, which is much different from G4.

We are at the begonning of porting kvm to 970(fx) atm, which is a lot closer to a g4 than any booke.

Alex, which deployment of the 970 are you targeting:
1) IBM JS21/22 blades, that actually have a hypervisor already present 2) Apple G5, Bare metal, but has most hypervisor features physically disabled 3) Any non-Book3E, which we call "classic" like 604, 750... and/or Book3S, G3, G4, G5, P3, P4

If you choose (1), then your work would be harder but it should apply to any IBM PPC64 or "pSeries" product If you choose (2), then your work could be much easier, but it would apply to G5s only.
if you choose (3), then its about the same as (2).

Right now we're targeting the PS3, as that's the platform we have most free machines of here ;-).

Do you mean Cell blade, or a PS3?

But the code as is should work for any bare metal 970.

PS3s come with Sony's Hypervisor which is different the the pSeries Hypervisor and far different from a bare metal 970, which only apple G5s qualify for that name.

If your intention is to work entirely above the PPC abstracted Linux environment then that should be interesting.

I haven't really looked into the hypervisor bits yet, but targeting iSeries is definitely on the list.

This has little to do with iSeries LPAR and to do with the Hypervisor introduced to all pSeries product on IBM 970 and P5 and beyond.

AFAIK we only need to take a deeper look at that when we get to implement the MMU bits.

I expect exception handlers to be your firs big worry.
The MMU will _indeed_ be interesting.

Another question is, when you do create your virtual machine, do you intend for it to look exactly like a G5 machine (and support an unmodified MacOS), a pSeries Machine (and emulate the pSeries Hypervisor), or some new Machine that will require further modifications to the OSes you will support?

I thought pSeries were the ones without Hypervisor?

As of 970 and P5, _everything_ produces has a hypervisor present regardless if it supports multiple LPARs or not.
This is also the case with Sony's PS/3.

Basically the idea is to expose a "random bare-metal" CPU to the userspace, with qemu implementing the rest. One thing I was thinking of was even to go as far as implementing a G3 guest on a POWER4+ host, but for now the plan is 970 on 970.

970 on 970 should work nicely and if you restrict yourself to the bsic architecture then what you do should work well on anything.

-JX

Alex

BTW: I do not intend to discourage, and would be thrilled to see _any_ of the above explored.
-JX