From: Jes Sorensen [mailto:jes@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:45 PM
To: Zhang, Xiantao
Cc: kvm-ia64@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: KVM/ia64 > 3GB or RAM?

Zhang, Xiantao wrote:
> Hi, Jes
> 	Seems I missed some mails from kvm/ia64 list, because my mailing
> address is unsubscribed by unknow reason days ago. For guest's
physical
> address space,  0-3G is conventional ram, 3G-3.5G is allocated for
mmio
> address sapce. 4G- higher address is also ram. The memory size is
> transferred to firmware at creating guest time.  In firmware, it also
> has the knowledge about guest memory layout from memory size, so it
will
> know where is ram and where is mmio...   I have a fix about this
issue,
> and you should can get it in mailing list. :)
> Thanks
> Xiantao

Hi Xiantao,

Hmmm I didn't realize this was hardcoded into the firmware image :-(
at least that explains why changing the addresses fails so badly.

I still have major problems with more than 3GB of memory though, the
guest gets memory corruption and crashes fast. It happens as soon as
anything is mapped above 4GB, as little as 2MB extra is enough to break
it.

Cheers,
Jes

--- Begin Message ---
Zhang, Jingke wrote:
> Tristan Gingold wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 11:43:58AM +0800, Zhang, Jingke wrote:
>>> Hi Tristan,
>>>     We found VTI guest with 3073M (memory is a little more than 3G)
>>>     can not be booted up. After some investigation, our engineer
>>> found some pages are ruined by unknow reason.  A EFI driver was
>>> loaded to 4G+, and its initilization code used the ruined pages, so
>>> bug out. I used latest openGFW binary (xenia64-gfw-126.bin). This
>>> issue is very easy to reproduce. Could you please help to look at
>>> it? Thank you very much!
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can you explain what do you mean by 'ruined' ?
>>
>> Tristan.
>
> Hi Tristan,
>     We found some code pages are polluted by an EFI driver (currently, we did not locate which driver), and leads to the issue. Thanks!
I guess the same problem.
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-ia64-devel/2008-07/msg00200.html

Best Regards,

Akio Takebe