Re: KVM: arm64: A new approach for SPE support

On Tue, Jan 03, 2023 at 02:27:59PM +0000, Alexandru Elisei wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gentle ping regarding this.

Hi Alexandru,

Sorry for the delay; things were a bit hectic at the end of last year, and this
is still on my queue of things to look at.

> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 11:40:45AM +0000, Alexandru Elisei wrote:
> > The previous discussion about how best to add SPE support to KVM [1] is
> > heading in the direction of pinning at EL2 only the buffer, when the guest
> > enables profiling, instead of pinning the entire VM memory. Although better
> > than pinning the entire VM at EL2, it still has some disadvantages:
> >
> > 1. Pinning memory at stage 2 goes against the design principle of secondary
> > MMUs, which must reflect all changes in the primary (host's stage 1) page
> > tables. This means a mechanism by which to pin VM memory at stage 2 must be
> > created from scratch just for SPE. Although I haven't done this yet, I'm a
> > bit concerned that this will turn out to be fragile and/or complicated.
> >
> > 2. The architecture allows software to change the VA to IPA translations
> > for the profiling buffer when the buffer is enabled if profiling is
> > disabled (the buffer is enabled, but sampling is disabled). Since SPE can
> > be programmed to profile EL0 only, and there is no easy way for KVM to trap
> > the exact moment when profiling becomes enabled in this scenario to
> > translate the buffer's guest VAs to IPA, to pin the IPAs at stage 2, it is
> > required for KVM impose limitations on how a guest uses SPE for emulation
> > to work.
> >
> > I've prototyped a new approach [2] which eliminates both disadvantages, but
> > comes with its own set of drawbacks. The approach I've been working on is
> > to have KVM allocate a buffer in the kernel address space to profile the
> > guest, and when the buffer becomes full (or profiling is disabled for other
> > reasons), to copy the contents of the buffer to guest memory.

This sounds neat!

I have a few comments below, I'll try to take a more in-depth look shortly.

> > I'll start with the advantages:
> >
> > 1. No memory pinning at stage 2.
> >
> > 2. No meaningful restrictions on how the guest programs SPE, since the
> > translation of the guest VAs to IPAs is done by KVM when profiling has been
> > completed.
> >
> > 3. Neoverse N1 errata 1978083 ("Incorrect programming of PMBPTR_EL1 might
> > result in a deadlock") [6] is handled without any extra work.
> >
> > As I see it, there are two main disadvantages:
> >
> > 1. The contents of the KVM buffer must be copied to the guest. In the
> > prototype this is done all at once, when profiling is stopped [3].
> > Presumably this can be amortized by unmapping the pages corresponding to
> > the guest buffer from stage 2 (or marking them as invalid) and copying the
> > data when the guest reads from those pages. Needs investigating.

I don't think we need to mess with the translation tables here; for a guest to
look at the buffer it's going to have to look at PMBPTR_EL1 (and a guest could
poll that and issue barriers without ever stopping SPE), so we could also force
writebacks when the guest reads PMBPTR_EL1.

> > 2. When KVM profiles the guest, the KVM buffer owning exception level must
> > necessarily be EL2. This means that while profiling is happening,
> > PMBIDR_EL1.P = 1 (programming of the buffer is not allowed). PMBIDR_EL1
> > cannot be trapped without FEAT_FGT, so a guest that reads the register
> > after profiling becomes enabled will read the P bit as 1. I cannot think of
> > any valid reason for a guest to look at the bit after enabling profiling.
> > With FEAT_FGT, KVM would be able to trap accesses to the register.

This is unfortunate. :/

I agree it's unlikely the a guest would look at this, but I could imagine some
OSs doing this as a sanity-check, since they never expect this to change, and
if it suddenly becomes 1 they might treat this as an error.

Can we require FGT for guest SPE usage?

> > 3. In the worst case scenario, when the entire VM memory is mapped in the
> > host, this approach consumes more memory because the memory for the buffer
> > is separate from the memory allocated to the VM. On the plus side, there
> > will always be less memory pinned in the host for the VM process, since
> > only the buffer has to be pinned, instead of the buffer plus the guest's
> > stage 1 translation tables (to avoid SPE encountering a stage 2 fault on a
> > stage 1 translation table walk). Could be mitigated by providing an ioctl
> > to userspace to set the maximum size for the buffer.

It's a shame we don't have a mechanism to raise an interrupt prior to the SPE
buffer becoming full, or we could force a writeback each time we hit a
watermark.

I suspect having a maximum size set ahead of time (and pre-allocating the
buffer?) is the right thing to do. As long as it's set to a reasonably large
value we can treat filling the buffer as a collision.

> > I prefer this new approach instead of pinning the buffer at stage 2. It is
> > straightforward, less fragile and doesn't limit how a guest can program
> > SPE.

Likewise, aside from the PMBIDR_EL1.P issue, this sounds very nice to me!

Thanks,
Mark.