Re: Status of live migration on ARMv7

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 14:40:40 +0200
ib10evp0@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what the status of live migration for ARMv7 with
> Virtualization Extensions is. I saw somebody was able to live migrate
> on ARM [1] but the repository he linked [2] has not been updated for
> 2 years. I'd like to know if live migration support for ARM is
> already in the mainstream kernel or if there are any custom patches
> required and if so if there is any newer code than [2].

Everything that's needed for a typical ARMv7 is already in mainline,
both for the kernel and qemu. And since the code is almost entirely
shared with ARMv8, it is probably in the same state. If it not working,
then it is a bug that should be addressed.

> BTW: The Migration page [3] claims the migration feature is hardware
> independent but it remains unclear if this expands to CPU
> architectures and if this applies to live migration or only offline
> migration. Some clarification in this regard would be nice to have.

We do have support for live migration (migrating the VM whilst it is
still running, tracking memory that gets dirtied).

	M.
--
Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny.