Re: [Question] Linux 3.10 supporting AArch64 KVM

On 13/03/16 18:18, Christoffer Dall wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 12:22:17PM +0100, Fernando Endo wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to know what kernel versions KVM is known to work for AArch64.
>> More specifically, if the Linux 3.10 of the Nvidia Tegra TX1 could support
>> KVM.
>>
>> The released 3.10 kernel does not have the KVM flags enabled, so I suspect
>> that this version does not actually support KVM for AArch64.
>
> I believe KVM for AArch64 was merged in 3.9, but it was a very early
> version of the code, so I wouldn't recommend basing anything off that.

That was KVM for AArch32. AArch64 support was merged in 3.11 IIRC. But I
wouldn't want to run anything based on this indeed. We've fixed so many
bugs it's not even funny!

> You could look at the backports for LSK 3.10
> (https://git.linaro.org/?p=kernel/linux-linaro-stable.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-linaro-lsk-v3.10)
> but I can't make any promises of the quality of that code.
>
> Does the Tegra TX1 board you have even boot Linux in EL2 or haven an
> open bootloader?  If not, I would expect this to be your biggest
> troubles.

I have seen traces indicating that the kernel is indeed entered at EL2.
Also, mainline seems to run on TX1, at least to some extent.

Fernando: if you're eager to try KVM on this system, mainline might be a
much better option (assuming you don't need any of the fancy stuff).

Thanks,

	M.