Re: detecting the GIC version in the host and in the guest

On 20 October 2014 18:19, Claudio Fontana <claudio.fontana@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> maybe I should have added that I am looking at AArch64 only, and that the
> long term plan is to move from device trees to ACPI for the guest as well.
>
> ACPI 5.1 provides as far as I understand extended support for the GIC,
> including the address of the GIC distributor and CPU interface;
> but I wondered however how to reliably query the supported GIC version.
> Maybe there is not an agreed way to do it yet.

In that case I think your answer is probably "get the info
from ACPI"...

> For the server use case in the long term, device trees, non-discoverable
> devices and specialized vendor-specific image builds are not feasible I am
> afraid.

The idea is there won't be specific *image* builds, which
is exactly the problem that device tree (or ACPI) is solving.
The firmware, or the VM, tell the host what hardware is present.
Trying to somehow magic away the existence of non-discoverable
devices is also not feasible, I'm afraid.

-- PMM