Re: Memory fragmentation and kvm_alloc_stage2_pgd

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:24:35PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 01:20:46PM +0200, Christoffer Dall wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 02:24:04PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > > kvm_alloc_stage2_pgd has to do an order 9 allocation, ie. 512
> > > contiguous pages I think.
> > >
> > > This often leads to problems running qemu when memory is relatively
> > > low -- eg. if you have one VM running, a healthy number of host
> > > applications, and perhaps "just" 4GB free; then you decide to run the
> > > libguestfs test suite.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions how to deal with this?
> > >
> > I'm not familiar with the libguestfs test suite, but are you saying you
> > have 4GB of free physical memory and when you start your first VM then
> > you get this error?  That sounds unlikely to me.
>
> No, it runs hundreds of appliances (not all at the same time).  Some
> fail.
>
> It seems to be a memory fragmentation issue, rather than the absolute
> free memory.

Ok, that's what I thought.  You can probably hack around it by reducing
S2_PGD_ORDER to whatever is accessible by the VMs you wish to run (as
Jungseok also points out), but I'm afraid an upstream solution is
probably not ready before the next merge window opens, at least.

Thanks for the notice!
-Christoffer