huge 2nd stage pages and live migration

Hello

I've been working on live migration for ARM-KVM, and noticed
problem completing migration with huge 2nd stage tables.

Aafter write protecting the VM, for write fault 512 page bits
are set in dirty_bitmap[] to take into account future writes to
huge page.The pmd is write protected again when QEMU  reads the
dirty log, and the cycle repeats. With this not even a idle
32MB VM  completes live migration.

If QEMU uses THPs, and 2nd stage tables use pte's, then there
is no problem, live migration is quick. I'm assumung QEMU and Guest
huge pages with 2nd stage page table pte's should work fine too.

I'm wondering how this has been solved (for any architecture)?

- Mario