Re: KVM/ARM Call Agenda - Tuesday March 25th, 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 10:20 PM, Christoffer Dall
<christoffer.dall@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does anyone have anything they would like to discuss on a KVM/ARM Call
> on Tuesday?

I don't know if this warrants a call, but Peter Maydell had raised an
issue about the smc vs. hvc calling convention for PSCI. The usecase
is doing migration between a KVM guest and QEMU TCG (system emulation
on x86). Seems a bit crazy to me, but people are trying to do this.
The OS will pick the smc/hvc call method from DT based on whichever
environment it boots on, but then after migration will be using the
"wrong" call method.

Knowing little about KVM internals, the solution I see here is for KVM
to support PSCI calls using smc. This will also mean we don't have a
different DT for virt machine model depending on KVM vs. TCG. Another
approach would be the TCG PSCI emulation (which I'm implementing)
could trap and handle hvc calls instead, but I don't recall if the
architecture can support that as easily.

Rob