Re: KVM on ARM LPAE dependency

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 04:26:36PM -0700, Mitchel Humpherys wrote:
> Why does CONFIG_KVM depend on CONFIG_ARM_LPAE? A few dependencies (like
> some stuff in pgtable-3level.h (like the pmd_table macro)) seem to have
> come and gone over time...

Because Hyp page tables and the Stage-2 translation scheme use the
format of LPAE.

> Is there any hope for ARM machines with virtualization extensions with
> LPAE turned off (or without LPAE)?

It's an architectural requirement to have LPAE if the virtualization
extensions are present.  Theoretically you could code the kernel so you
could run it without LPAE enabled and still support KVM, but you would
have to change all the page table manipulation code to use custom
defines for these purposes.  I don't see the point, and it's not
something that's going to go in mainline.

-Christoffer