Re: to run KVM/ARM on Cortex A8

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Ming Zhu <mingzhu_ustc@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello!
I've seen this site https://sites.google.com/a/sslab.cs.nthu.edu.tw/armvisor/home and find many things useful to run android in another android OS. But there is still not a guide for implement KVM/ARM on real hardware, e.g. ARM Cortex A8. Those run on fast models or other emulated ARM devices are not I want.
In short: Guide to run KVM/ARM or ARMvisor on real hardware. Thanks a lot!

KVM/ARM is only targeting hardware with virtualization support, there is in fact commercially available hardware out there (Arndale, Chrome Book, Nexus 10, ...) and the arm64 upcoming hardware will also have it.

I think supporting virtualization on earlier hardware, especially for Android, is pointless at this stage and would in any case require paravirtualization  (but the fact that even Xen dropped that idea for ARM should hint you towards the success of that), or it would require something like binary translation, which is not likely to give you any good performance on ARM due to the memory structure and will be a massive implementation effort.

There are a number of guides available for KVM/ARM (from Linaro, Virtual Open Systems, etc.) that you can take a look at. If you feel more documentation is required, feel free to provide it, and I'll happily help you host it and make it available.

-Christoffer