Re: Guest breakage with 3.9-rc2

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 5:13 AM, Alexander Graf <agraf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 14.03.2013, at 12:12, Alexander Graf wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> After I managed to get 3.9 successfully up and working on my Arndale system, I started to stress test KVM. I simply took a kernel tree and compiled it until it failed:
>>
>> #!/bin/bash -e
>>
>> while true; do
>>    make clean
>>    make -j4
>> done
>>
>> This eventually happened after a few successful runs:
>>
>> crypto/serpent_generic.c: In function ‘__serpent_decrypt’:
>> crypto/serpent_generic.c:560:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
>> Please submit a full bug report,
>> with preprocessed source if appropriate.
>> See <http://bugs.opensuse.org/> for instructions.
>> make[1]: *** [crypto/serpent_generic.o] Error 1
>> make: *** [crypto] Error 2
>> make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>>

>> Does anyone have an idea how to debug this? Will mentioned TLB breakage that he had a branch for, so I'm going to try his branch next as guest kernel.

Hi Alex,

I've never seen anything like this on 3.6-based Arndale kernel, but
that's not to say that I dont' believe you. Do you get the same error
every time?

If so, how would a TLB error result in a segmentation fault, unless it
is triggered by a vary precise sequence of events that overwrites
kernel VMAs unintentionally or something like that?

Just to make sure, did you compile both your guest and your host as
ARM (not thumb-2)?

-Christoffer