Re: [RFC] KVM on arm64

On 10/01/13 06:58, xiangyou xie wrote:
> Hi Marc:
>
>        I have tried your kvm-arm64/soc-armv8-kvm branch. Host boot
> successfully, but it’s failed to run guest, I don’t know what’s wrong
> with it. The following is the detail of my implementation:
>
> (1)    The code is from
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git
> <https://email-cn.huawei.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=bb801de808eb45e6a9a2c865fd4007cb&URL=http%3a%2f%2fgit.kernel.org%2fpub%2fscm%2flinux%2fkernel%2fgit%2fmaz%2farm-platforms.git>

Which branch?

> (2)    The FastModels is FastModels_atlas_0.8, and the model is Atlasx4

As mentioned in the post you quoted, this has only been tested on the VE
model and the Foundation model. I suggest you start by using one of those.

> (3)    Vexpress-v2p-aarch64.dts for host and guest(guest use the same
> kernel Image as host).

This DT doesn't mean a thing for the guest. Kvmtool is providing its own
DT to the guest anyway.

> (4)    I use kvm tool to boot guest, the command line is:
>
> #lkvm run –kernel Image -c 4 -m 512 –initrd filesystem.cpio.gz –dump-dtb
> vexpress-v2p-aarch64.dtb -p “rdinit=/linuxrc console=ttyAMA0 mem=512M
> root=/dev/ram”

Well, kvmtool doesn't provide any non-virtio device. For a start, you
should have "console=hvc0" instead of "console=ttyAMA0". You can also
add "early_printk=smh". "mem=512" is superfluous.

You don't need the --dump-dtb option unless you're debugging kvmtool.

> What’s wrong with my steps or is something missing? Your reply and
> suggestion will be very helpful. Thanks.

My suggestion is that you start with a known, tested configuration/model
(see the configuration I posted a few days ago in response to a similar
question).

	M.