Re: Architected timer support

On 11/12/12 18:40, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 11 December 2012 18:34, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 11 December 2012 18:27, Andreas Sandberg <andreas.sandberg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> What makes matters more complicated is that the timer can't be
>>> hidden from the guest since ID_PFR1 is invariant.ther.
>> Yes.
> Forgot to say, KVM should support trapping to hyp on the ID registers
> (via HCR.TID[0123]) and returning values suitable for the virtual
> CPU we're exposing to the guest. We don't do that at the moment but
> will need to (for instance for A15 guest on A7 host, a combo we
> can't pull off at the moment).

That'd be very useful for the type of work I'm doing. We're using KVM as
an accelerator for the gem5 system simulator, which means that we want
to switch between virtualized CPUs and the gem5 CPU models. We usually
get away with this as long as the guest kernel is configured without the
features that gem5 doesn't support, but it would be very useful to be
able to mask out features like Thumb or Jazelle.

I can definitely see why you don't want to implement this for the
initial version, getting it right seems fairly complex. I'm looking
forward to when it happens!

> Speaking of cans of worms and the arch.timers, an interesting
> question we thought of the other week is "how does VM migration
> work between host machines whose arch.timers run at different
> frequencies?"

Judging from a quick glance at the spec., I'd say that it looks like
this can't be done properly without a collaborative guest. In general,
it seems like migration across different CPU types will be "interesting".

//Andreas