Problem with reading DTB from KVM kernel

Hi, I've got a problem which isn't directly related to KVM, but I'm using the KVM on ARM kernel from git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git (as, ultimately, I'm running KVM on ARM, once I manage to boot the system) and I was wondering if anyone else has come across this or might have any advice.

I'm using ARM's FastModel simulator. I have built a DTB as described here https://wiki.linaro.org/PeterMaydell/KVM/HowTo/KVMHostSetup (I am running Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit) and now I'm trying to boot my Linux KVM kernel on a customized (proprietary) boot loader.
The boot loader doesn't do much to the DTB other than include the boot arguments (kernel command line), for now.
Then it places the DTB at an 64-bit aligned memory address and passes that address to the kernel in r2 (as documented in Documentation/devicetree/booting-without-of.txt

However, when the kernel boots it stops with "Error: unrecognized/unsupported device tree compatible list". When I investigated the problem a bit further, I figured that the parser in drivers/of/fdt.c cannot read the device tree blob properly. The first few OF_DT_PROP elements work, but then it gets out of sync with the DTB. It seems as if the DTB format does not match what the parser expects. The blob (I inspect in memory using a debugger) does not conform to what is described in Documentation/devicetree/booting-without-of.txt. Is this a problem in the device tree compiler? Or should my boot loader have done anything more to the DTB?

Is there anything that I'm missing here? Should the kernel not be able to read the DTB directly?

Thanks for any pointers on this, and I apologize if this is not the appropriate mailing list.

James