Re: VirtIO vs Emulation Netperf benchmark results

On 10.10.2012, at 20:52, Christoffer Dall <c.dall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Alexander Graf <agraf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> On 10.10.2012, at 20:39, Alexander Spyridakis
>> <a.spyridakis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> For your information, with the latest developments related to VirtIO, I run
>> netperf a couple of times to see the exact standing of network performance
>> on the guests.
>>
>> The test was to run netperf -H "ip of LAN node", which tests TCP traffic for
>> 10 seconds.
>>
>> x86 - x86:  ~96 Mbps - reference between two different computers
>> ARM Host  - x86:  ~80 Mbps
>> ARM Guest - x86:  ~ 2 Mbps - emulation
>> ARM Guest - x86:  ~74 Mbps - VirtIO
>>
>> From these we conclude that:
>>
>> As expected x86 to x86 communication can reach the limit of the 100 Mbps
>> LAN.
>> The ARM board seems to not be capable of the LAN.
>> Network emulation in QEMU is more than just slow (expected).
>>

>> Why is this expected? This performance drop is quite terrifying.
>>

> I think he means expected as in, we already know we have this
> terrifying problem. I'm looking into this right now, and I believe
> Marc is also on this.

Ah, good :). Since you are on a dual-core machine with lots of traffic, you should get almost no vmexits for virtio queue processing.

Since we know that this is a fast case, the big difference to emulated devices are the exits. So I'd search there :).

Alex