Re: handling cp15 state which isn't trivially exposed as a single register

Am 22.08.2012 um 16:54 schrieb Rusty Russell <rusty.russell@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:35:21 +0200, Alexander Graf <agraf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 21.08.2012, at 04:32, Rusty Russell <rusty.russell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Now, if Anthony and Avi lay down the law and say everyone is moving to a
>>> new system, we'll move now.  For real: I want to see x86 patches.
>>
>> So because x86 has a stable API today that works for them and that
>> needs to be supported anyways we don't improve the non-x86 code? What
>> an awesome argument. I should bring that one up next time I don't want
>> to think about something.
>
> It's not an improvement.  You want change, so we can unify.  But it
> won't actually unify anything important, since x86 will not be unified.
> Right?
>
>>> Otherwise, we'll concentrate on stuff we know, and transition when
>>> everyone else does.
>>>
>>> And since that transition is likely to be painful and of no real
>>> benefit, it might never happen.
>>
>> That's exactly my point. Today you have the chance and could go with
>> something generic, extensible.
>
> Today?  No, you don't have what we need today.
>
>> In fact, you basically reimplemented ONE_REG on top of the x86 MSR
>> ioctls.
>
> Not if you order your narrative in linear time.  You reimplemented MSR,
> badly.  I copied MSR, and ignored ONE_REG altogether.
>
>> So either try to work with everyone on a solution for everyone, rename the ioctls to something more generic, or invent new ones for you. But don't create another arm-one-reg api under the MSR code name.
>
> We could easily rename ARM's MSR-style ioctls to sound generic.  We
> could reserve the upper 6 bits of the index for an architecture tag so
> everyone has their own namespace, or just bloat the index to 64 bits.
>
> But will it be any more successful than ONE_REG?  What would we gain?
>
> Are you going to be at KS/Plumbers?  Avi, you?  Because grand plans seem
> to work badly over email.

Yes, we're both at Plumbers, Avi is also at KS and we're both in SD right now. I agree. Let's take this to a discussin at Plumbers.

I think you just look at this from a different perspective. To me, the ONE_REG ioctls were just the best way to implement what is necessary to poke at a single register, because that's what I needed at the time. The great improvement / master plan that is behind ONE_REG is that every register gets a unique id that any other ioctl could use. Not the way we use that ID today.

I don't care what we call the ioctl. Ihe implementation of how we access registers could change. But at least we have a stable number space that won't break as easily as struct offsets and doesn't require us to move structs left and right, wasting memory, time and brainpower.

Alex