Re: Working rootfs to load host file system from RAM

On 22 August 2012 17:28, Jessica Allison <jessica.allison.2012@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Jessica Allison
> <jessica.allison.2012@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Has anyone got a working rootfs that I can boot from directly on the ARM
> > Fast Model simulator? I'm not talking about one for the guest but one for
> > the host.
> >
> > I can properly boot the system in the simulator from NFS, but when I try to
> > build an initramfs from my NFS filesystem and attach that to the simulator
> > with --initrd xxx then the kernel seems to hang after having extracted the
> > initramfs and then freed the memory - it stops doing anything after saying
> > "Freeing init memory".
> >
> > I have created the initramfs by just doing a
> >
> > find ./ | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ./initrd.cpio.gz
> >
> > in the directory which is my NFS filesystem. Isn't that sufficient?
> >
> > Btw I have also tried to build the initramfs into the kernel by configuring
> > CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE=xxx - however, then what happened is that when the
> > system booted it only said "error uncompressing kernel" right at the start.
> >
> For your host system you should be fine with NFS.
>
> For the guest you need something really simple if it's not going to be
> too big, try with this one:
> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~cdall/initrd.img

Cheers I will try that.

Jess

In general I have tried initrds of up to 500MB (at least in QEMU if I remember correctly). You can fit a basic ubuntu debootstrap with an x-server and a basic window manager, keep in mind though that you must have plenty of memory for that. Also remember that the init binary should be located on the root of the filesystem when booting from initrd, make a link to it if not so.

Reagrds