Fwd: Early pl011 console for debugging KVM for ARM port

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Hollis Blanchard <hollis at penguinppc.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Christoffer Dall <cd2436 at columbia.edu> wrote:
>>> I don't understand why you don't have console. If you did, you could
>>> use the initcall_debug kernel parameter.
>>
>> The uart serial drivers on ARM rely on the tty, bus and driver
>> subsystems to be initialized, so this can't happen before the
>> initcalls. However, I got a response from the arm linux mailing list
>> about a recently committed fix for this, which I might try to apply.
>
> Surely there is an "early console" option for ARM, usable for
> debugging before all those driver layers have been initialized...?

Usually yes, just not for the pl011 device that QEMU happens to
emulate - To my knowledge there's early support for an 8250 serial
device and a framebuffer based console, but I would have to change the
board configuration in QEMU and the guest kernel to map these things
up, and the framebuffer emualation on QEMU doesn't work easily on SDL
with Android.

However, I'll try the commit mentioned above to get further.