project scope and planning

Hi guys,

After spending 3-4 days adapting KVM user space for ARM and not getting
very far Christoffer and I sat down today and went over the project status.

The remaining tasks are at least:
1. Understanding QEMU architecture and device emulation
2. Create KVM userspace infrastructure for ARM
3. Write interface between KVM and QEMU for ARM (both kernel and user
space code)
4. Finish emulation work
5. Memory architecture

The first two tasks turned out to be even more challenging than
expected. Just figuring out the basic code structure has taken a lot of
time (partly because there are two different KVM userspace
implementations by Qumranet and IBM intermixed). We're in dialog with
Hollis Blanchard (the author of KVM for PowerPC) regarding a lot of
these issues. We estimate that these two tasks will take approximately
two weeks. For instance we just figured out that on advice from the QEMU
mailing list we have been using the Qumranet version whereas according
to Hollis we should have used the IBM version...

Task 3 is dependent on 1 and 2 and will take a lot of time considering
that we WILL run into numerous unexpected problems when trying to boot
an actual kernel and running the binary translation with emulation.

Thus we see a big risk that we will not have a running prototype by May
15th. It's better to be realistic and flag for this earlier than later.
Jason, how do you feel about this?

 From our point of view we are already taking the shortest path
possible. We will continue our work as planned but we do not anticipate
writing code, which uses the KVM module within the above mentioned two
weeks. It is our feeling that both Brian and Dave also has plenty of
tasks for the upcoming two weeks?

Best regards,
Andreas & Christoffer