NASA Seeks Proposals for Commercial Operations at Launch Pad 39A

May 17, 2013

Tracy Young
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
tracy.g.young@nasa.gov

Rachel Kraft
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1100
rachel.h.kraft@nasa.gov

RELEASE: 13-146

NASA SEEKS PROPOSALS FOR COMMERCIAL OPERATIONS AT LAUNCH PAD 39A

WASHINGTON -- NASA released a synopsis Friday announcing plans to
issue an announcement for proposals for the commercial use of Launch
Pad 39A at the agency's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The
announcement is expected next week.

Use of the launch pad by industry is designed to encourage commercial
space activities along Florida's Space Coast and fully use the
historic launch complex.

Launch Pad 39A originally was designed to support NASA's Apollo
Program and later was modified to launch space shuttles. Today, the
agency is modernizing nearby Launch Pad 39B to support government and
commercial launches, including NASA's heavy-lift Space Launch System
(SLS) rocket and Orion spacecraft, which will provide an entirely new
capability for human exploration beyond low-Earth orbit.

"We remain committed to right-sizing our portfolio by reducing the
number of facilities that are underused, duplicative, or not required
to support the Space Launch System and Orion," said Kennedy Center
Director Bob Cabana. "Launch Complex 39A is not required to support
our asteroid retrieval mission or our eventual missions to Mars. But
it's in the agency's and our nation's best interest in meeting our
commitment and direction to enable commercial space operations and
allow the aerospace industry to operate and maintain the pad and
related facilities."

Assessments conducted by NASA show Launch Pad 39A could serve as a
platform for a commercial space company's launch activities if the
company assumes financial and technical responsibility of the
complex's operations and management. Commercial use of the pad would
further support NASA's goal to encourage the commercial use of
property the agency does not need for the foreseeable future.

Kennedy is positioning itself for the next era of space exploration,
transitioning to a 21st century launch facility with multiple users,
both private and government. A dynamic infrastructure is taking
shape, designed to host many kinds of spacecraft and rockets capable
of sending people on America's next adventures in space.

To view the full announcement, visit Kennedy Space Center's Business
Opportunities page:

http://go.nasa.gov/13Bhogu

For more information about NASA and human exploration, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov